I must admit that I wasn't exactly biting my nails to get my hands on Radiohead: Best Of CD. Especially when considering that the band hasn't endorsed it in any way and most people I know simply see it as a giant label trying to rake in more cash in a slow period and take more advantage of one of the few still viable super-bands in the world.
Then I saw the list of videos on the DVD version of the Best Of and I had to self-medicate to calm down.
Radiohead: The Best Of (DVD)
1. Creep (directed by Brett Turnbull)
2. Anyone Can Play Guitar (directed by Dwight Clarke)
3. Pop Is Dead (directed by Dwight Clarke)
4. Stop Whispering (directed by Jeff Plansker)
5. My Iron Lung (directed by Brett Turnbull)
6. High and Dry (UK version) (directed by David Mould)
7. High and Dry (US version) (directed by Paul Cunningham)
8. Fake Plastic Trees (directed by Jake Scott)
9. Just (directed by Jamie Thraves)
10. Street Spirit (Fade Out) (directed by Jonathan Glazer)
11. Paranoid Android (directed by Magnus Carlsson)
12. Karma Police (directed by Jonathan Glazer)
13. No Surprises (directed by Grant Gee)
14. Pyramid Song (directed by Shynola)
15. Knives Out (directed by Michel Gondry)
16. I Might Be Wrong (directed by Sophie Muller)
17. Push Pulk / Spinning Plates (directed by Johnny Hardstaff)
18. There There (directed by Chris Hopewell)
19. Go To Sleep (directed by Alex Rutterford)
20. Sit Down Stand Up (directed by Ed Holdsworth)
21. 2+2=5 (Live at Belfort Festival) (directed by Fabien Raymond)
While you may already own the records and b-sides with with most of the songs, having all of these videos in one place is quite amazing. I went to college in the mid-90's in a town with no MTV before satellite and broadband so I haven't even seen more than a handful of these videos so I'm pumped.
So, to recap, Radiohead: The Best Of will be available in the following formats and configurations:
– 1CD collection featuring 17 tracks
– Special Edition 2CD, adding 13 tracks
– 4-piece vinyl set with 29 tracks
– 17-track & 30-track digital downloads
– DVD featuring 21 videos
Does this raise anyone elses excitement level?