FRIENDS, it is time once again for Emerald City Comicon! Are you headed to the Washington State Convention Center with March 14-17 with me? I’ve loved this con for years, but IT IS SO GIGANTIC now, I thought it’d be helpful to write up a quick guide to the must-see stuff.
GET YOUR CELEBRITY FIX
ECCC always puts together a great lineup of celeb guests. This year, you can meet George Takei, Mary McDonnell, Rainn Wilson, GWENDOLYN CHRISTIE (!!!), the cast of Boy Meets World, the kids from Stranger Things, Ross Marquand, and Sonequa Martin-Green! Autographs & photographs are located at the Hyatt Regency Hotel this year (about 2 blocks away from the convention center): Celebrity Autographing (Level 3), Celebrity Photo Ops (Level 5).
See also: these panels and interviews on the Main stage (Hyatt, Level 7):
The Doctor Will See You Now: Peter Capaldi Spotlight
Boy Meets World Meets Emerald City Comic Con
Ross Marquand Talks The Walking Dead and Celebrity Impressions
Sonequa Martin-Green Spotlight
Ian Somerhalder SpotlightStranger Things Cast with Finn Wolfhard, Caleb McLaughlin, Gaten Matarazzo and Sadie Sink
TAKE SOME PHOTOS; GIVE TO CHARITY
Star Wars fans: head straight to the TCC for some amazing photo-ops! The 501st Legion, Rebel Legion, and Saber Guild work together to build insane Star Wars sets; all yours for the snapping for a donation that supports Seattle Children’s Hospital.
Related: don’t miss Jet City Temple Presents: The Force Experience — happening several times throughout the weekend.
ENJOY ALL THE COSPLAY
There are so many cosplayers at ECCC that it is MIND-BLOWING. While I enjoy all the killer ‘80s fandom cosplays (including a set of Spaceballs cosplayers that CANNOT be topped), my favorite thing to look for mashups! Hello Kitty Darth Vader, Miss Piggy Wonder Woman, Big Lebowski/Batman Villains, etc.
Psst … remember: COSPLAY IS NOT CONSENT. Do not take pictures of a cosplayer without asking them first, don’t be a creep, and do not ever touch a cosplayer for any reason.
PICK UP SOME COMICS & OTHER COOL STUFF
Make sure you swing by a healthy mix of big and small publishers! Pick up a few things you’ve heard about, and a few things you haven’t. I’m always pleased with the pile of comics I pick up each year!
I recommended you swing by the following peeps for geeky goodness:
Outsider Comics & Geek Boutique
Geekstar Costuming (her last con, ever!)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SMALL BIZ OWNERS
Visit the Homegrown section of the show floor for awesome stuff made by local artists!
LEARN SOME COOL STUFF AT PANELS
Panels, panels, panels, panels AND MORE PANELS. Pick out a few that are about something you’ve heard of, and a few that are about something new.
Kelly Sue DeConnick on DC’s Aquaman
How to be a Nerd For A Living: Discovering Careers in Pop-Culture
Inclusive Comics 101: Or, Comics for the Rest of Us
Watch Out! Wonder Woman Coming Through! A MeTooSTEM Chat
Women of the MCU: Why Did it Take 20 Movies to Get Captain Marvel?
Army of Darkness/Bubba Ho-Tep: Writer Scott Duvall On Combining Cult Films
POC Representation in Entertainment Media and Film
Zoe Quinn on DC’s Goddess Mode
DON’T FORGET THESE THINGS
- Heads up: NEW Entrances and Security measures are in effect this year. Check ‘em out here so you know what to expect!
- There are 3 main places that are part of ECCC:
- The main WSCC, which now houses The Star Wars Experience & Brick Nation, as well as all the main show floor packed with vendors, artists, panel rooms, cosplay stations, etc.
- The TCC, which is connected to the WSCC via sky bridge and has panel rooms, gaming, and more vendors
- The Hyatt Regency, which is home to all celeb autographs and photo-ops, and the main stage
- The printed WSCC & TCC maps are your friends! Keep one with you at all times (the app is good, but service inside is spotty and unreliable)
- Most vendors take cards via Square (or something like it), but as mentioned above, phone service can be spotty so having cash is always a good idea.
- Bring a refillable water bottle with you!
- Bring some snacks! Food is available, but it’s pricey and the lines are usually insane.
- WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES! Protect your feets.
Now go forth and convention!