Judging by how fast tickets for The Shins' and Iron and Wine's (separate) two-night stands sold out, everyone loves their schmindie. So, as a public service announcement, I'm compiling some schmindie-related news stories in one neat post.
I feel like one of those poor college kids who get an internship at Media Matters and it means they have to watch "Glenn Beck" every night. I'm regularly asked to define schmindie, so, to me, schmindie is boring indie rock that gets the benefit of the doubt because it's "indie". Generally, if it has guys with beards and/or acoustic guitars, you're probably going to need to wake me when it's over.
- Fleet Foxes are releasing a 7" single to their song "Mykonos" on Tuesday and have announced a North American tour. The dates (which I'm taking from their MySpace page) for that are:
5/25/09 George, WA Sasquatch Festival – Gorge Amphitheatre
7/29/09 Washington DC 9:30 Club**
7/30/09 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory**
7/31/09 Jersey City, NJ All Points West – Liberty State Park
8/1/09 Newport, RI Newport Folk Festival – Fort Adams State Park
8/03/09 Montreal, QC Metropolis Theatre**
8/04/09 Toronto, ON Massey Hall**
8/05/09 Royal Oak, MI Royal Oak Theatre **
8/07/09 Chicago, IL Lollapalooza – Grant Park
8/09/09 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue ** (on-sale May 9th)
- If you missed your chance at getting tickets to see Iron and Wine at The Triple Door for Tuesday night's show, he's playing an acoustic set at the Sonic Boom on Capitol Hill Tuesday night at 6pm.
- Someone pitched a 33 1/3 book on "Forthcoming 2009 Album" by Wilco (which got exactly as far in the process as my proposal) and now said album has a title. It's (and I really wish I was making this up) Wilco (The Album). The first track is called (and I really, really wish I was making this up) "Wilco (The Song)". Pitchfork has the details.
- Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips has apologized to The Arcade Fire for all that shit he talked about them. Pitchfork reported that he said, "I wish whatever had been said wouldn't have been taken as such a defiant statement from the Flaming Lips, because it wasn't…I really feel bad about it. I like enough of their music. The idea that I'm somehow against them…I'm not!"
- Tickets are sold out for Sasquatch! on Saturday and Sunday. Only Monday tickets remain. I cannot get you in to any of the days so please stop asking me.