Hi imaginaries! It’s me again, your horror film-loving friend and I’m here to tell you all about Crypticon and why it’s so awesome. ICYMI: Crypticon is the largest gathering of fans of the macabre in the Pacific NW, with a focus on HORROR and all the related spooky things.
Here are 10 reasons why you shouldn’t miss my favorite convention of the year:
- X-Files Goodness! This year Mitch Pileggi (Skinner), William B. Davis (The Cigarette Smoking Man), Nicolas Lea (Krycek) and Annabeth Gish ! (Reyes) are coming, and you can see all of them for photos and signatures individually, or splurge on a mega-photo op with all four for maximum Phile enjoyment.
- TWIN PEAKS Goodness! Continuing its excellent tributes to Twin Peaks this year (last year Harry Goaz/Andy & Kimmy Robertson/Lucy appeared), this year the con has Ray Wise/Leland & Sheryl Lee/Laura!!! AHHHHH!!!!! Can’t. Contain. Excitement.
- 80s Goodness! I swear they didn’t tailor this year’s guests JUST FOR ME, but uh, it’s kind of like they did: Dee Wallace (E.T., The Howling, Critters, Cujo); Adrienne King (Friday the 13th); Amy Steele (Friday the 13th Part 2); and Amelia Kincade (Night of the Demons series) will be there!
- BARBARA FREAKIN’ STEELE! Goddess of Black Sunday, Dark Shadows, Pit and the Pendulum, Castle of Blood – and so many other great films is attending and I have zero idea how I’m going to keep it together without fainting in front of her.
- Interviews! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the celeb interviews at Crypticon because they are in cozy rooms where everyone has a great view and usually everyone who wants to has a chance to ask questions.
- Vendors! OMG THE VENDORS. Just take all my money, please. This year there’s even a separate Artist’s Alley which is um, amazing!Check out the full list of people selling cool things here.
- Events! Enjoy a horrific film festival with shorts and features, makeup demos, mold-making demos, trivia, hearses, hotrods, PROM OF THE DEAD, and more.
- Parties! The entire 13th Floor of suites is transformed into party central, and even though I’m old and go to bed early, I can assure you based on the number of hangovers I see Saturday and Sunday mornings, they rage pretty much ALL NIGHT.
- Cosplay! Every year I am awed by the amazing horror cosplays I see on the floor and at the Saturday night cosplay contest. Last year there was a pair of women that had The Shining twins aesthetic down PERFECTLY, even their expressions and the way they interacted with people was amazing!
- The Crypticon FAM! Every year my horror family expands as I meet new people who love the genre as much as I do — so many friendly, horror-loving folks to talk to and nerd out with!
Tickets for one day range from $20-$30, or you can grab a weekend pass for $60 (in advance) or $80 at the door. It’s also super easy to get to, even if you don’t have a car — Crypticon is at the Hilton Doubletree SeaTac, and you can hop on the light rail, get off at the airport, and hop on a bus, or walk just a little under a mile to the hotel.
Get your tickets, come, and find me to say hi! I’ll be interviewing Dee Wallace (!!) on Saturday and Ray Wise & Sheryl Lee (!!!!) on Sunday + you’ll find me talking about horror on a few panels over the weekend.
Lead photo: Me and the LEGENDARY Barbara Crampton at Crypticon 2018! Bottom photos: My selfie with Harry Goaz & Kimmy Robertson after interviewing them about Twin Peaks | Second time meeting Jeffrey Combs, WHO IS AMAZING | Me with PJ Soles! She is the absolute sweetest.