Another case of McCain not being able to multi-task. McCain canceled out at the last minute on Letterman saying that he's putting the campaign on hold and was rushing back to Wa(RR)shington to address the crisis and therefore couldn't make the show.
I guess he didn't know that Letterman would find out, mid-show, that McCain hadn't "rushed back to Wa(RR)shington" like he said. Rather, McCain was being interviewed by Katie Couric. Letterman topped this claim off with a live feed from CBS News, showing McCain being interviewed by Couric.
Here's just nine minutes of Letterman's commentary on the situation. There's probably more video of his other snips throughout the rest of the show.
Here's the brilliant top 10 from last night:
Top Ten Questions People Are Asking the John McCain Campaign
10. "I just contributed to your campaign — how do I get a refund?"
9. "It's Sarah Palin — does this mean I'm Pars'dent?"
8. "Can't you solve this by selling some of your homes?"
7. "Hi, this is Clay Aiken. Is McCain single?"
6. "Do you still think the fundamentals of our economy are strong, genius?"
5. "Are you doing all this just to get out of going on Letterman?"
4. "What would Matlock do?"
3. "Hillary here — my schedule is free Friday night"
2. "Is this just an excuse to catch up on napping?"
1. "This is President Bush — what's all this trouble with the economy?"