Imaginary Public Service Announcement to McCain et. al. — it's an expression. And a well-established one at that. So would you please just STFU with the false indignation and cries of sexism?
From an Urban Dictionary entry from August 2004:
"putting lipstick on a pig"
A term used by many, generally in reference to someone who may be trying to make something or someone look appealing or attractive when it quite clearly will not work, or will only deceive the dumbest of people.
Car salesmen are generally good at "putting lipstick on a pig" because they are always selling unroadworthy buckets of shit and try and hide their shitfulness by tarting them up
If you're so concerned about my gender, here are my suggestions for how to best serve us:
- Ensure equal pay for equal work (which you don't).
- Protect our reproductive choices (which you most certainly don't).
- Teach sex education and provide access to birth control so we can lower the rate of teenage pregnancy in this country (which you don't).
- Provide basic health insurance for all children (which you don't).
- Stop pandering to my gender with these assinine distractions. We don't need you to tell us what's sexist and what isn't. We need to tell us where you stand on the issues (which you most certainly haven't been doing).
Phew, now that I got that off my chest, who wants to talk about the McCain and Obama tax plans?