It’s the end of the week as well as the end of the first month of 2016. There’s a lot going on as we all try to keep our 2016 resolutions intact and aim for making this the best year yet.
There’s plenty of sad and troubling stuff going on in the news, but there are some exciting things happening in Seattle as of late. Here are some of the items that I’ve put a ♥ on:
- We love Seattle record store Sonic Boom (and everyone who owns it and has worked there). It’s been the place of many of our most treasured moments and music finds. News just broke that they are looking for new ownership! Is it you?
- Prrrr…. a new cat cafe is coming to town – in Capital Hill! So, Cap Hill is down one Value Village, but up some… KITTIES! The name is NEKO Cat Cafe – which I think will be a perfect place for Neko Case to play an acoustic show next time she’s in town so that, for that one day, it could be the NEKO CASE CAFE (which is equally as exciting as coffee+kitties).
Songs in High Rotation – Pacific NW Edition:
- I am really really really liking “One Note Song” by Seattle band Deep Cologne.
I’ve wanted to kiss you for so long…
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1767232088 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small track=4014730967]
- Prana Crafter have a low-key, meandering Snow Patrol feel to their songs. Here’s something from their new album, Rupture of Planes.
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1895661059 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small track=3806624341]
- Have you put together your advent calendar to count down to the new Thermals album release? Sadly the ltd ed clear vinyl is already sold out – but pre-orders for We Disappear are still available for the old school black vinyl, cd and digital versions (releases on March 25, 2016). The first single is #classicthermals with all that you love about this perfect three-piece of frenetic, concise, cathartic hotness.
And a more international song on my radar:
- Blur’s Damon Albarn remixes a song by an Icelandic band I’ve never heard of. Could there be another headline that would pique my interest so? Warning: Once you get to the 1 minute mark you’ll have the chorus stuck in your head.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/244207671″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]